Good afternoon new advisors and members of the board,
Welcome to a new year of DECA in California! We hope that you had an awesome summer and are looking forward to an exciting year of DECA activities and events!
For those of you that do not know me, my name is Kim Frahm and I provide support to our new and developing chapters and advisors in California.
This email will be a tad longer than normal so that we can bring you up to speed on some things that have been developed the summer.
Just a reminder on how to get into Teach DECA:URL: teachdecaca.orgPassword: ReadyforItCA! (this will change soon)
TOPICS IN TODAY'S E-BLAST:
- Chapter Support Open Office Hours
- Instructional/Informational Videos
- 14 SBE Instructional Videos
- Program Checklist
- Fast Start Resources
- California DECA Advisor Conference
1) Chapter Support Open Office Hours: Instead of webinars, we have decided to offer Open Office hours once a week 3 time a day for anyone to call in and get any questions answered that they may have. Hours will be Thursdays from 7:00-7:30 a.m., 11:00-11:30 a.m. and 2:30-3:00 p.m. Here is my virtual office address or you can call in at: 1 669 900 6833. This information is also posted on Teach DECA on the Chapter Support Office Hours Page. Any changes to the schedule will be posted here, as well as announced in the Tuesday E-blast.
2) In lieu of hosting webinars, we will be releasing a steady stream of instructional/informational videos throughout the year. Two of them are being released today with this webinar: 1) Fall Leadership Development Conference Registration Paperwork Overview (7:35 min) and Fall Leadership Development Conference Online Registration Tutorial (5:20 min). A schedule of videos will be posted on Teach DECA soon under Quick Links | Instructional Videos.
3) For those of you that are interested in, or in the middle of, launching an SBE, one of our CA DECA mentors, Lee Ann Johns, created a series of 14 videos over the summer based on the SBE Guide and her experience in running a school store that generated over $300,000 a year in sales. Those videos and the corresponding pages of the guide are posted on Teach DECA | Resources | Unit Two | SBE Resources.
4) Program Checklist: The program checklist, to help you get organized to kick-off the year, is in Teach DECA | Resources | Unit One | Educators. Affiliation Guide and Agreement and grant information are being updated as we speak. Check back on those links in the coming weeks and I will also announce in the e-blast when they are posted.
5) Fast Start: The Fast Start resources to excite and meet your students, submit membership, choose officers, and schedule your year are all posted and ready to go under the Fast Start link on Teach DECA. Once we have the new membership video, we will change that out on the What is DECA? slide deck. We have added a google form option for the membership application for those of you that are google classroom teachers; please make sure that you "make a copy" before editing the form! :)
6) California DECA Advisor Conference: Here is the registration packet for the Advisor Conference taking place in Irvine on September 20 and 21! Please make this a priority to attend. We are tentatively allowing time on Friday evening during the new advisor workshop to facilitate advisors in using the DECA Weekly Planner and DECA Menu, as well as Teach DECA, to schedule out their entireyear of DECA!
Here We Go!